This free resource is primarily for parents and carers of children and young people:
- Who have been identified as having a learning disability
- Who have concerns that their child or young person MIGHT have a learning disability.
Children and young people with learning disability often have different needs and will likely need reasonably adjusted services and support. The ‘Learning Disability Matters for Families’ webapp gives parents and carers straightforward, pragmatic, realistic information that is aimed to help them day to day, know where to go for further help and understand what they are entitled to.
It is really straightforward to use and includes a range of tools, resources and films to
- Explain what a learning disability is and what it isn’t.
- Films of families of children and young people with learning disabilities sharing their experiences and giving helpful advice, positive examples and practical information of where to go for further help
- Health conditions to look out for and advice about what to do.
- Make sure they know about their rights about reasonable adjustments to services.
- Give examples of what voluntary sector organisations are able to do to support parents and carers of children and young people with learning disabilities.
- Provide advice and guidance about the sorts of services that can be helpful.
- Information about the importance of children and young people being on the G.P. learning disability register.
- Provide explanation about why it is important that the G.P. practice know that parents and carers of children and young people with learning disabilities are included on the G.P. carers register.