Chair-Elect (becoming Chair 2020)
The successful candidate will act as chair-elect until March 2020 with the 4 year term of office as chair, and trustee of the charity, commencing in March 2020. The key roles are shown below and applicants should have considerable experience in these areas:
- Chairing and facilitating executive committee meetings, held 3 times per year
- Policy development
- Guide and mediate actions with respect to organisational priorities and governance concerns
- Bring impartiality and objectivity to decision making
- Representing the organisation at functions and meetings and acting as a spokesperson as appropriate
Applications are welcome from the whole BACD membership and the position is not limited to medical doctors. Our current chair, Hilary Cass, and the other trustees (vice-chair, treasurer and secretary) will support the successful candidate as they take on the role . The successful candidate will begin to take on some responsibilities from election, taking over fully from March 2020.
Deputy Academic Convenor
We are looking for applicants with experience of organising large CPD events either locally or nationally, to work with the Academic Convenor in the organisation of BACD academic meetings. The successful candidate will have lots of ideas for future topics and themes to attract a large crowd, and be of interest to the whole multi-disciplinary team. The successful candidate will have the option of stepping up to the academic convenor role when that position next becomes available. The key roles are:
- Assisting with the organisation of the programme for the BACD ASM, including identifying the theme and speakers, and reviewing submitted abstracts and poster presentations
- Assisting with the organisation of the BACD session at the RCPCH Spring Meeting (usually in conjunction with another specialty group)
- Contribute to the development of BACD’s role in continuing professional development
The Audit Lead will develop a workplan in consultation with the executive members of BACD to lead a rolling programme of national audits. Applicants need to be able to evidence a commitment to developing services for disabled children and young people and of having completed audits that have made a positive difference.
The Governance Lead will develop a work plan in consultation with the executive members of BACD and will lead on clinical governance issues. The Governance Lead will be responsible for aspects of education and training (other than those covered by the individual specialties), clinical effectiveness, openness, risk management and information management.
We are looking for a trainee (or two trainees to job share) who is at ST6 in their training so that they are able to fulfil the full 2 year term, commencing September 2019. The key role of the trainees’ representative is as follows:
- Contribute to the agenda and workplan for BACD activities
- Represent the views of trainees to BACD
- Take relevant issues from trainees to BACD for action and from BACD to trainees for action
- To ensure the views of trainees in paediatric neurodisability are heard within BACD.
- Contribute an article to the BACD News when relevant
- Organise an annual trainees’ conference
- All terms of office are 4 years.
- Successful candidates are expected to attend at least two of the three executive committee meetings each year
- The Audit and Governance Leads will work closely together as the roles are linked
- Applications will be reviewed by the trustees and the executive committee, who will identify and select the most suitable candidate, with the following exceptions:
- if more than one suitable candidate applies for the position of Chair, the BACD membership will be asked to vote on its preferred candidate
- if more than one suitable candidate applies for the position of Trainees’ Representative, the BACD paediatric trainee membership will be asked to vote on its preferred candidate
For more information about any of the vacant positions, please contact Kelly Robinson.
How to apply
Please send a short CV (max 2 pages) and a brief personal statement outlining why you want to take on the role, your ideas for the role, and what you will bring to it.
Applications to the position of Chair should also outline what their vision would be as BACD chair and what they would hope to achieve in the position.
Applications should be emailed to Kelly Robinson by Friday 2 August 2019.